Ergonomic tips for healthy wrists
The good news is that wrist pain can be avoid with some simple ergonomic adjustments. Follow the steps below from Andrew Wilson, Osteopath and Ergonomist.
- Your keyboard and mouse should be sitting directly in front of you.
- Your keyboard should be adjusted according to if you sit forward slightly or sit back slightly. The tilt of the keyboard should face away from you if you sit forward and should be tilted forward if you recline so your wrists remain straight.
- Your elbows should always stay at your side, so you don’t have to strain at all. You can also use cushioned mouse pads.
- Remember to keep moving and change positions regularly.
Having awareness of the optimal position is the first step. Use your awareness like a mindful practice, when you become aware that you’re in a less than ideal position, take a pause and make the necessary adjustments.
Try this wrist stretch at your desk
Try this stretch to help relieve, minimize and even avoid tension. Don’t hesitate to stop regularly and take a stretching break.
‘Bear in the honey pot’ wrist stretch
Relieves tension from tired and tight wrists
- Sit evenly on your chair with your spice straight.
- Bring the back of your hands to touch in front of you, with your elbows stretched wide.
- Work to your edge, this may mean that only the fingers touch and that’s ok.
- Imagine you are a bear reaching for honey in the sides of a honey pot and give your fingers a wriggle.
Other tips to help relieve wrist pain
- Give your hands a regular shake.
- Try moving your hand from a fist to a fan. Repeat 10 times.
- Take short regular breaks – go for walks around the office or around the block.
- Ensure your workstation is setup ergonomically.
- Adjust the way you sit to have optimal sitting posture.
- Use an ergonomic chair.
Try our other desk stretches
Working with muscle and joint pain makes work a whole lot less enjoyable and less productive. Try our other desk stretches for some sweet relief and prevention.
Haven’t got an ergonomic Buro chair for your home yet?
Speak to our specialists, about what would be the best solution for you.